I eat more popcorn than Olivia Pope. True story. I don’t know if it’s the fascination with a little kernel transforming itself into a white fluffy treat or the fact that I can throw it in the air and catch it in mouth that gets me. But I do know that this low calorie snack has and always will be my fav. Hello only 31 calories per popped cup.
So after several years of air popped popcorn (store brand is the best P.S.) I recently decided to kick it old school and make my staple snack on the stove. And guess what? Not only does this whole grain goodness taste better, it’s cheaper! A whole bag of kernels (store brand of course) was only $6.99 at my local grocery store, and since I only pop 2-3 tablespoons at a time let’s just say I have enough popcorn to watch every single season of Scandal at least eight times.
This way to make popcorn is super fun and easy, so grab a few kernels and let’s get it poppin’.
2 Tablespoons coconut, canola or olive oil (these guys can handle the heat)
1/4 cup of high quality popcorn kernels
1 2-3 quart covered saucepan
1. Heat the oil in a 2-3 quart saucepan on medium high heat.
2. Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
3. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels in an even layer.
4. Cover and remove from heat for about 30 seconds.
5. Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once.
6. Once the popping starts gently shake the pan over the burner.
7. Slightly ajar the lid in order to let the steam from the popcorn release (or else the popcorn may turn out tough and not crispy).
8. Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and pour the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
9. Now top with your favorite toppings, hit the couch and see how many you can throw and catch in your mouth. Healthy fun, and done.