Protein Power Chili & No Guilt Cornbread
I love a good meal in a Slow-Cooker yall. Which is why when the temperature drops the first thing I think of is turning my Momma’s vintage Slow-Cooker up. And when I do, you best believe I’m whipping up my easy-peasy Protein Power Chili. Your muscles love protein and chili loves cornbread, so whip these two easy recipes up and leave the tough work to rocket scientists.
Slow-Cooker Protein Power Chili
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey (or tofu….or skip it entirely)
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground allspice
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until evenly brown; drain.
2. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in turkey along with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
Toppings: shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese blend, non fat plain Greek yogurt, avocado
Sweet (No Cheat) Cornbread Muffins
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Add skim milk and egg whites, stirring until all ingredients are combined.
3. Pour into a 9 inch pan or muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.