Now that I live in Los Angeles, they are many things that I miss about New York. However the thing I miss the most (but my bank account doesn’t) is ordering take-out on Seamless. Yes, there are delivery services here in Los Angeles. But the options are few and the fees are high. So I’ve been trying to make some of my New York take-out faves on my own.
Here is my current RAD creation – Spicy Lettuce Wraps! Which, P.S. are not only easy to make, but super inexpensive and all the ingredients are at Trader Joe’s. Enjoy!
Spicy Lettuce Wraps
1 tablespoon sesame oil (or any oil you prefer)
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cups Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Bell Peppers & Onions
1/3 cups shredded carrots
2/3 cups Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef*
Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend, to taste
2 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette*
1/4 cup spring onions
6 leaves of Trader Joe’s Living Butter Lettuce
1. Warm oil on medium heat in a medium skillet.
2. Add the garlic and roasted bell peppers & onions. Sauté on medium-low for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the carrots, and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the beef-less ground beef and seasoning blend. Cook for 1 minute (this faux meat is already cooked, so don’t over-heat).
5. Turn off the flame, then stir in the spicy peanut vinaigrette and spring onions.
6. Scoop the mixture on top of the butter leaves, hold it like a taco and enjoy!
* Feel free to skip the beef-less ground beef, or add any protein of your liking. Also, feel free to make the peanut sauce from scratch – 1 tablespoon chunky peanut butter, 1 tablespoon soy or tamari sauce, honey and chili pepper flakes to taste.
Did you enjoy this recipe? What would you like to see next? Let me know below.